Monday, 27 June 2011

We no speak Americano and the "dickhead with the spoon"

Monday. I have had 2 days now and 1 night. Not including the huge sleep and rest I needed when I got here. Settling in has been pretty easy as everyone is so friendly but sometimes awkward in terms of not knowing what to do and say. Most people here don't really speak English, they speak Tamil. There are 3000 different dialects in India so learning one doesn't necessarily mean you will better understood. When I arrived I was allowed a good rest and although it took a while for me to nod off I did get to sleep all the way through until lunch. By the way I've changed my mind, the meal I had on BA, great food. I cant really explain the food here because frankly I have no idea what it is. I sat down to lunch not very hungry and was present with more food than everyone else put together. The food here may not come with a Michelin star but you defiantly don't walk away hungry. I was not so quick to realise however that the spoon I was eating with was a serving spoon, as here, you eat with you hands. I was too far into eating to just put it down and start eating with my hands like I knew what I was doing that I was forced to carry on, but have changed my style since. Yesterday was very relaxed. The children weren't in school so we went to the beach. The children live here permanently and although the people here look after them really well they haven't got any family. So simple things to us will make there day. They love to hold you hand and the small ones will love you forever if you carry them or let them sit on your lap. Despite not having a penny in the world they are beautifully well manner and polite. I am extremely well treated here. There was also a local (traveling) family that came past yesterday. They had a young baby, maybe 8 months who I scared to death as he had never seen a white person before. The mother was lovely although in many ways strange. I don't think she fully understood "the white man" and wanted all her family to meet me and kiss her children as if I was blessing them. Today it was much quieter as the children were at school. I took a trip into town to sort out a phone. I swapped a really bad Nokia that I bought at home for 30 quid that didn't work here for a phone that even Simon Williams would turn down, but at least it works. The traveling its self was the highlight of my day however. I was driven about on the back of a moped and was on the road with a thousand other mopeds with the occasional truck plowing its way through. As long as you don't think your about to die, its actually pretty fun. (I think helmets here are frowned upon btw). This is my base for now and I sleep here again tongiht. Tomorrow I am packing a rucksack and traveling to a village for 4 nights to help with the construction of their village school. I dont think I will be having internet... P.S The picture I posted aren't the most interesting but just gives you an idea of where I am and what I am talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment